The International Air Festival “El Yelmo” will celebrate its 23rd edition in Cortijos Nuevos (Segura de la Sierra) between June 16 and 18, already established as one of the main free flight events in the world.
Organized by the City Council of Segura de la Sierra with the support of the Provincial Council of Jaen, the FIA, is a celebration of flight in general, with a focus on paragliding sports, although other sports and many activities for pilots and the public take place there. Undoubtedly a must in the Spanish calendar, but if you have never been, or if you are not yet decided to return, here are 6 good reasons for not missing the FIA El Yelmo 2023:
1. The biggest: With 23 years of history and more than 20 thousand persons attending its last edition in 2022, the FIA El Yelmo is the most important event dedicated to paragliding in Spain. Its extensive program brings together sports activities in the mountains and related to air sports, impressive air shows of all kinds, as well as activities for the whole family.
2. The Vibe: A participation of more than 500 paragliding and paramotor pilots last year and a site that hosts concerts and music at night, make it a unique opportunity to meet and connect with other people passionate about this sport, old and new friends. Don’t miss out on the unforgettable nights of the FIA!
3. Air Films: We rarely have the opportunity to see productions dedicated to free flight or related to paragliding and the air in general, on cinema screens. The El Yelmo Air Film Festival has a long tradition supporting this type of films, the best of which are awarded every year and can be seen during the Festival in special screenings. The deadline for submission of films is still open.
4. Natural Beauty: The festival takes place in the charming Sierra de Segura, meaning you’ll be able to enjoy stunning views of the mountains and surrounding landscape while flying or enjoying the events. It is also a great opportunity to explore the culture and gastronomy of the Jaen region, known for its olive oil, rich history, and cultural heritage. Be sure to visit the attractive town of Segura de la Sierra, with its castle nestled on a hill and its streets and stone stairs where you can get lost in time.
5. Acro in the Castle: Speaking of the Castle, this unique paragliding acrobatics show starring some of the best pilots in the world is more than enough reason to attend the FIA. With impossible takeoffs from the tower of the Castle of Segura de la Sierra, proximity flying over the public, and throwing the most extreme maneuvers just a few meters from the historic monument, the acro pilots and the site will blow you away. This show returns to the FIA after several years, do not miss it.
6. The comp: Whether you compete or not, seeing dozens of paragliders in the sky of El Yelmo climbing to cloudbase before starting the race is an exciting experience and a show in itself. Just before the FIA will begin the Pre PWC and National Paragliding League, whose last leg will be held on Saturday 17. If you take off in the morning you will be able to see some of the best Spanish cross-country pilots when they leave. If you arrive at the launch site in the morning, you will be able to see some of the best Spanish cross-country pilots when they leave.
Also during the FIA El Yelmo, you will witness the exhibition of a Eurofighter Typhoon of the Spanish Air and Space Army that will pass at low altitude, or enjoy the freestyle paramotor comp disputed by outstanding pilots, attend a talk with the former acro world champion and adventurer Horacio Llorens, or see some new flight products at the trade fair, among many other things.
See you at FIA!